Vol 2 | Issue 2 | July – Dec 2017 | Page 25-31 | John Mukhopadhaya
Authors: John Mukhopadhaya 
Department of Orthopaedics and Joint Replacement, Paras HMRI Hospital, Patna, Bihar, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. John Mukhopadhaya
Department of Orthopaedics and Joint Replacement,
Paras HMRI Hospital, Patna, Bihar, India.
Infected nonunions are difficult problems to tackle. The treatment is often multistaged and involves high expenses and has major impact on both patient as well as surgeons. Understanding of the basics of infected non-union including etiopathology, diagnostic criteria and management algorithms is helpful in successfully managing this complication. This article provides a basic overview of infected nonunions along with new methods of management including Masquelet technique and techniques of managing bone gaps
Keywords: infected non-union, diagnosis, management
1. Brinker MR, Hanus BD, Sen M, O’Connor DP. The devastating effects of tibial nonunion on health-related quality of life. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013 Dec 18;95(24):2170-6.
2. Struijs PA, Poolman RW, Bhandari M. Infected nonunion of the long bones. J Orthop Trauma. 2007 Aug;21(7):507-11.
3. Chaudhary MM. Infected nonunion of tibia. Indian J Orthop. 2017 May-Jun;51(3):256-268.
4. Tetsworth K, Cierny G 3rd. Osteomyelitis debridement techniques. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1999 Mar;(360):87-96.
5. Shyam AK, Sancheti PK, Patel SK, Rocha S, Pradhan C, Patil A. Use of antibiotic cement-impregnated intramedullary nail in treatment of infected non-union of long bones. Indian J Orthop. 2009 Oct;43(4):396-402.
6. Bhatia C, Tiwari AK, Sharma SB, Thalanki S, Rai A. Role of Antibiotic Cement Coated Nailing in Infected Nonunion of Tibia. Malays Orthop J. 2017 Mar;11(1):6-11.
7. Pradhan C, Patil A, Puram C, Attarde D, Sancheti P, Shyam A. Can antibiotic impregnated cement nail achieve both infection control and bony union in infected diaphyseal femoral non-unions? Injury. 2017 Aug;48 Suppl 2:S66-S71.
8. Putnis S, Khan WS, Wong JM. Negative pressure wound therapy – a review of its uses in orthopaedic trauma. Open Orthop J. 2014 Jun 27;8:142-7.
9. Giannoudis PV, Faour O, Goff T, Kanakaris N, Dimitriou R. Masquelet technique for the treatment of bone defects: tips-tricks and future directions. Injury. 2011 Jun;42(6):591-8.
10. Patwardhan S, Shyam AK, Mody RA, Sancheti PK, Mehta R, Agrawat H. Reconstruction of bone defects after osteomyelitis with nonvascularized fibular graft: a retrospective study in twenty-six children. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013 May 1;95(9):e56, S1.
11. Yin P, Ji Q, Li T, Li J, Li Z, Liu J, Wang G, Wang S, Zhang L, Mao Z, Tang P. A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Ilizarov Methods in the Treatment of Infected Nonunion of Tibia and Femur. PLoS One. 2015 Nov 3;10(11):e0141973
12. Mukhopadhaya J, Raj M. Distraction osteogenesis using combined locking plate and Ilizarov fixator in the treatment of bone defect: A report of 2 cases. Indian J Orthop. 2017 Mar-Apr;51(2):222-228.
13. Dhillon MS, Rajasekharan S, Sancheti P. Status of road safety and injury burden: India. J Orthop Trauma. 2014;28 Suppl 1:S43-4.
|How to Cite this article: Mukhopadhaya J. Management of Infected Non-unions. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics July-Dec 2017; 2(2):25-31|