Vol 3 | Issue 2 | July-Dec 2018 | Page 54-55 | HR Jhunjhunwala.
Authors: HR Jhunjhunwala .
 Department of Orthopaedics, Bombay Hospital Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Marine Lines, Mumbai, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. HR Jhunjhunwala,
Department of Orthopaedics, Bombay Hospital Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Marine Lines, Mumbai, India.
Isolated fibular fractures are often considered innocuous and treated conservatively. They may malunited and predispose the ankle to severe twisting injuries. We present one such case where the patient presented with twisting injury to the ankle. Radiograph revealed a malunited fibula which was high riding. To prevent future such episodes, fibula was pulled down by doing an osteotomy and was stabilised with a plate. The union was uneventful and at final follow up pf two years the patient is symptom free
Keywords: malunited fibula, Osteotomy
1. Sakaki MH, Matsumura BAR, Dotta TDAG, et al. Epidemiologic study of ankle fractures in a tertiary hospital. Acta Orto Bras. 2014;22(2):90-93.
2. Thur CK, Edgren G, Jansson KÅ, et al. Epidemiology of adult ankle fractures in Sweden between 1987 and 2004: a population-based study of 91,410 Swedish inpatients. Acta Orthop. 2012;83(3):276-281.
3. McPhail SM, Dunstan J, Canning J, et al. Life impact of ankle fractures: Qualitative analysis of patient and clinician experiences. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. 2012;13:224.
4. Hosea TM, Carey CC, Harrer MF. The gender issue: Epidemiology of ankle injuries in athletes who participate in basketball. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2000;(372):45-49.
5. Helfet DL, Haas NP, Schatzker J, et al. AO Philosophy and Principles of Fracture Management-Its Evolution and Evaluation. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 2003;85(6):1156-1160 .
6. Van Wensen RJA, van den Bekerom MPJ, Marti RK, et al. Reconstructive osteotomy of fibular malunion: review of the literature. Strategies in Trauma and Limb Reconstruction. 2011;6(2):51-57.
7. Zhenhua F, Waizy H, Ming X, et al. Lateral malleolus hook plate for comminuted Weber A and B fractures: A retrospective study. Indian J Orthop. 2013;47(4): 364–369.
8. Buscharino B, MorettiRG, Hungria JOS, et al. Biomechanical Study: Resistance Comparison of Posterior Antiglide Plate and Lateral Plate on Synthetic Bone Models Simulating Danis-Weber B Malleolar Fractures. Rev Bras Ortop. 2013;48(3):221-227.
|How to Cite this article: Jhunjhunwala HR. A Malunited Fibula with raised Lateral Malleolus treated surgically by Fibular Osteotomy and Plating. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics July-Dec 2018; 3(2):54-55.|