Vol 3 | Issue 2 | July-Dec 2018 | Page 48-50 | Sachin Kale, Vaibhav Koli, Prakash Samant, Sanjay Dhar, Sandeep Deore, Gaurav Kanade.
Authors: Sachin Kale , Vaibhav Koli , Prakash Samant , Sanjay Dhar , Sandeep Deore , Gaurav Kanade .
 Department of Orthopaedic surgery, Dr. D.Y. Patil medical college, Nerul,Navi Mumbai.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Vaibhav Koli,
Department of Orthopaedics, Dr. D.Y. Patil medical college, Nerul,Navi Mumbai.
E-mail id: email@example.com
Intramedullary nailing for humerus diaphyseal fractures is associated with a quite a number of complications like violation of rotator cuff, soft tissue injury around the shoulder and elbow. The purpose of this article is to describe a simple three stitch technique for intramedullary humerus nailing which aims at avoiding most of the common complications encountered during and after humerus nailing. One year follow up of all the patients have shown good to excellent results and favorable functional outcomes.
Keywords: humerus diaphyseal fractures, antegrade humerus nailing, three stitch technique
1. Rose SH, Melton LJ, Morrey BF, Ilstrup DM & Riggs BL (1982) Epidemiological features of humeral fractures. Clin Orthop 168: 24–30.
2. Sarmiento A, Waddellle JP, Latta LL. Diaphyseal humeral fractures: treatment options. Instr Course Lect 2002;51:257-69.
3. Zuckerman JD, Koval KJ. Fractures of the shaft of the humerus. Chap 15, In Rockwood and Green Fractures in Adults. 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA: JB Lippincott 1996:p. 1025-51
4. Farragos AF, Schemitsch EH, McKee MD. Complicationsof intramedullary nailing for fractures of the humeral shaft: a review. J Orthop Trauma. 1999;13:258-67. doi:10.1302/0301- 620X.90B1. 19215.
5. Lögters TT, Wild M, Windolf J, Linhart W. Axillary nerve palsy after retrograde humeral nailing: clinical confirmation of an anatomical fear. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2008;128:1431-5
6. Cheng HR, Lin J. Prospective randomized comparative study of antegrade and retrograde locked nailing for middle humeral shaft fracture. J Trauma. 2008;65:94-102.
7. Sarmiento A, Kinman P, Galvin E. Functional bracing of fractures of the shaft of the humerus. JBJS (Am) 1977; 59- A.596-601
8. RG McCormack, D. Brien, RE Buckley, MD McKee, J Powell, EH Schemitsch. Fixation of fractures of the shaft of the humerus by dynamic compression plate or intramedullary nail. A prospective randomised trial. JBJS (Br) 2000; 82-B: 336-9
9. Christos Garnavos.Diaphyseal humeral fractures and intramedullary nailing: Can we improve outcomes. Indian Journal of Orthopaedics | May 2011 | Vol. 45 | Issue 3,Pg 208-213
10. Stern PJ, Mattingly DA, Pomeroy DL, Zenni EJ Jr, Kreig JK. Intramedullary fixation of humeral shaft fractures. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1984;66:639-46.
11. Evans PD, Conboy VB, Evans EJ. The Seidel humeral lockingnail: an anatomical study of the complications from locking screws. Injury 1993;24:175-6.
12. Garnavos C. Intramedullary nailing for humeral shaft fractures: the misunderstood poor relative. Current Orthop 2001; 15:68-75.
13. Kolonja A, Vecsei N, Mousani M, Marlovits S, Machold W, Vecsei V. Radial nerve injury after anterograde and retrograde locked intramedullary nailing of humerus. A clinical and anatomical study. Osteo Trauma Care 2002;10:192-6.
|How to Cite this article: Kale S, Koli V, Samant P, Dhar S, Deore S, Kanade G. Three Stitch technique for humerus nailing. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics July-Dec 2018; 3(2):48-50.|