Surgical Management of Surgical Site Infections in Orthopaedics
Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics | Vol 4 | Issue 2 | July-Dec 2019 | page:17-25 | Dr. Sitaram Prasad, Dr. Gautam Zaveri
Author: Dr. Sitaram Prasad , Dr. Gautam Zaveri 
 Department of Plastic Surgery, Fortis & Zen Hospitals, Mumbai.
 Department of Spine Surgery, Jaslok, Fortis & Zen Hospitals, Mumbai.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Gautam Zaveri
Department of Plastic Surgery, Fortis & Zen Hospitals, Mumbai
Surgical site infections are a source of great misery to both patients and surgeons. The management requires a multipronged approach specially in orthopaedics. The current chapter outlines the various methods of source control when dealing with musculoskeletal infections.
Keywords: Surgical site infections, orthopaedics, management
1. Manna B, Morrison CA. Wound debridement. [Updated 2019 Feb 16]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK507882/
2. Meyers B. Wound Management: Principles and Practice. 2nd edition. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall; 2008
3. Owens B, White D, Wenke J. Comparison of irrigation solutions and devices in a contaminated musculoskeletal wound survival model. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 2009;91(1):92-98.
4. Swezey L. 8 key steps to performing proper wound irrigation. Wound Source, 2014 Aug 29 at www.woundsource.com
5. Zimmerli W, Sendi P. Orthopedic biofilm infections. APIMS 2017 April; 125(4): 353-364
6. W.J. Metsemakers, Kuehl R, Moriarty TF, et al., Infection after fracture fixation: Current surgical and microbiological concepts, Injury (2016), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2016.09.019
7. Doud Galli, S & Constantinides, M. Wound Closure Technique. Medscape. Updated April 2013
8. Myers, Betsy. (2008). Wound Management Principles and Practice. Pearson Prentice Hall. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey pg. 17-18
9. Swezey L. Types of wound closure. 2014 April. www.woundeducators.com
10. Simman R. Wound closure and reconstructive ladder in plastic surgery. J Am Col Certif Wound Spec. 2009 Jan; 1(1): 6–11
11. Bistolfi A, Massazza G, Verne E, et al. Antibiotic loaded cement in orthopaedic surgery. A review. International Scholarly Research Network ISRN Orthopedics Volume 2011, Article ID 290851, 8 pages doi:10.5402/2011/290851
12. Gogia JS, Meehan JP, DiCesare PE. Local antibiotic therapy in osteomyelitis. Seminars in plastic Surgery 2009; 23(2): 100- 107
13. Putnis S, Khan WS, Wong J M-L. Negative pressure wound therapy. A review of its uses in Orthopaedic trauma. Open Orthop J. 2014 June; 8: 142–147
14. Jones SM, Banwell PE, Shakespeare PG. Advances in wound healing:topical negative pressure therapy. Postgraduate Medical Journal 2005;81:353-357.
15. Sarabahi S. Recent advances in Topical wound care. In J Plastic Surg. 2012 May- Aug;45(2): 379-387
16. Dhivya S, Padma VV, Santhini E. Wound dressings- a review. Biomedicine (Taipei). 2015 Dec: 5(4): 22.
|How to Cite this article: Prasad S, Zaveri G. Surgical Management of Surgical Site Infections in Orthopaedics. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics July-Dec 2019;4(2):17-25.|
(Abstract Full Text HTML) (Download PDF)