Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics | Vol 8 | Issue 1 | Jan-Jun 2023 | page: 32-37 | Binoti Sheth
Author: Binoti Sheth 
 Department of Orthopaedics, Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College and General Hospital, Sion, Mumbai, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Binoti Sheth, MS, DNB, FCPS, D. Orth.
Professor and Head of Unit, Department of Orthopaedics, Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College and General
Hospital, Sion, Mumbai, India.
Angular deformities around the knee in children are common presentations in day to day practice. While some of the deformities are physiological that need careful observation, the others are pathological and need timely medical or surgical intervention. Systematic evaluation of the deformity is the first step in making the correct decision about the management. The right choice of treatment, the correct timing and perfect execution of the technique are necessary for optimum outcome. This article describes the aetiology, clinicoradiological evaluation and management of angular deformities around the knee in children.
Keywords: Knee, Angular deformity, Children.
- SeleniusP., Vankka E.: The development of the tibiofemoral angle in children J. Bone Joint Surg Am.1975, 57:259-261.
- Valentino Coppa, Mario Marinelli: Coronal plane deformity around the knee in the skeletally immature population: A review of principles of evaluation and treatment World Journal of Orthopaedics 2022, May 13(5):427-443.
- Davids JR, Blackhurst DW. Clinical evaluation of bowed legs in children JPO B 2000 Oct 9(4): 278-284.
- Paley D. Principles of deformity correction Heidelberg, Springer, 2002:1-18.
- Paley D, Tetsworth K. Mechanical axis deviation of the lower limbs: Preoperative planning of uniapical angular deformities of the tibia or femur CORR 1992, 48-64.
- Stevens PM. Guided growth for angular correction: a preliminary series using a tension band plate JPO 2007, 27:253-259.
- Eltayeby HH, Lobst CA. Hemiepiphysiodesis using tension band plates: does the initial screw angle influence the rate of correction? J. Child Ortho. 2019, Feb. 13(1): 62-66.
- Metaizeau JP, Wong-ChungJ. Percutaneous epiphysiodesis using transphyseal screws(PETS) JPO1998,18:363-369.
- White GR, Mencio GA: Genu valgum in children: Diagnostic and therapeutic alternatives JAAOS:1995;3 (5):275-283.
- Tachdjian’s Paediatric Orthopaedics. 3rd ed. 2002, Vol. 3:839-890.
|How to Cite this article: Sheth B. Non Standard Deviation – Managing angular deformities around the knee in young agee. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics Jan-Jun 2023;8(1):32-37.|