Spontaneous Clinical and Radiological Resolution of a Large Extruded disk in the Lumbar Spine
Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics | Vol 7 | Issue 2 | Jul-Dec 2022 | page: 85-87 | Sunit Mediratta
Author: Sunit Mediratta 
 Department of Neurosurgery, Apollo Hospital, New Delhi, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Sunit Mediratta,
Department of Neurosurgery, Apollo Hospital, Sarita VIhar, New Delhi, India.
Low back ache arising due to a herniated lumbar disk with radicular pain to the lower limbs is a commonly occurring problem evaluated by spine surgeons. Conservative treatment has usually been proposed for an acute disk prolapse in cases without significant motor or sensory deficit. Spontaneous radiological regression of an extruded herniated disk with complete symptomatic recovery has occasionally been reported. A case of conservatively treated large extruded lumbar disk is described who showed complete radiological resolution, along with regression of the clinical symptoms.
Keywords: Extruded lumbar disk, conservative treatment, clinical and radiological resolution
- Cunha C, Silva AJ, Pereira P, Vaz R, Goncalves RM, Barbosa MA. The inflammatory response in the regression of lumbar disc herniation. Arthritis Res Ther 2018;20:251.
- Altun I, Yüksel KZ. Lumbar herniated disc: spontaneous regression. Korean J Pain 2017;30:44-50.
- Hakan T, Gürcan S. Spontaneous regression of herniated lumbar disc with new disc protrusion in the adjacent level. Case Rep Orthop 2016;2016:1538072.
- Orief T, Orz Y, Attia W, Almusrea K. Spontaneous resorption of sequestrated intervertebral disc herniation. World Neurosurg 2012;77:146-52.
- Macki M, Hernandez-Hermann M, Bydon M, Gokaslan A, McGovern K, Bydon A. Spontaneous regression of sequestrated lumbar disc herniations: Literature review. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 2014;120:136-41.
- Kim ES, Oladunjoye AO, Li JA, Kim KD. Spontaneous regression of herniated lumbar discs. J Clin Neurosci 2014;21:909-13.
- Kim SG, Yang JC, Kim TW, Park KH. Spontaneous regression of extruded lumbar disc herniation: Three cases report. Korean J Spine 2013;10:78-81.
- Unlu Z, Tasci S, Tarhan S, Pabuscu Y, Islak S. Comparison of 3 physical therapy modalities for acute pain in lumbar disc herniation measured by clinical evaluation and magnetic resonance imaging. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 2008;31:191-8.
- Komori H, Shinomiya K, Nakai O, Yamaura I, Takeda S, Furuya K. The natural history of herniated nucleus pulposus with radiculopathy. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 1996;21:225-9.
|How to Cite this article: Mediratta S. Spontaneous Clinical and Radiological Resolution of a Large Extruded disk in the Lumbar Spine. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics Jul-Dec 2022;7(2):85-87.|
(Abstract Full Text HTML) (Download PDF)