Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics | Vol 5 | Issue 1 | Jan-Jun 2020 | page: 41-46 | Muhammed Ashraf, Jyothis George, Ibad Sha I
Author: Muhammed Ashraf , Jyothis George , Ibad Sha I 
 Department of Orthopedics, Government Medical College, Alappuzha.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Muhammed Ashraf,
Professor and HOD
Department of Orthopedics
Government Medical College, Alappuzha
Background: Avascular Necrosis / Osteonecrosis of the femoral head is a debilitating condition affecting the hip joint especially in the younger population and is one of the most common causes of total hip replacement in this age group. The available treatments include pharmacological and surgical options with Total hip arthroplasty (THA) being the main stay of treatment. Because of the disadvantages like implant loosening and need for revision surgery especially in young patients. We here is studying a novel technique of combining micro core decompression with intra-lesional bisphosphonate as treatment for osteonecrosis of hip.
Materials and Methods: A prospective study of 19 hips in 15 patients was done. There were 11 males and 4 females with an average age of 54.3 years ranging between 42 – 63 years. Four hips were stage I , ten hips were stage IIA, three hips were stage IIb and two hips were stage III. 16 hips (40%) had stage IIb and 24 hips (60%) had stage III ONFH. The minimum period of follow up was 24 months. All patients were assessed clinically during pre- and post-operative period according to the Harris Hip Score (HHS) and radiologically by X-rays. The operative procedure include decompressing the avascular area with drilling then injecting the zolendronic acid locally through drill holes
Results: The mean preoperative modified Harris Hip Score in stage I(n=4), stage IIa(n=10), stage IIb(n=3) and Stage III(n=2) were 81.9, 72.7, 68.8 and 59.2 respectively. The mean postoperative modified Harris Hip Score at two years in stage I, stage IIa, stage IIb and Stage III were 97.3, 91.1, 88.4 and 82.5 respectively.
Conclusion: We found that the use of micro core-decompression with intra-lesional bisphosphonate will provide higher chances towards hip preservation especially in late cases or cases with larger lesions where core decompression may not be successful.
Keywords: Intra-lesional bisphosphonate, Avascular necrosis hip, Hip preservation surgery, Micro core-decompression.
1. Baig SA, Baig MN. Osteonecrosis of the Femoral Head: Etiology, Investigations, and Management. Cureus. 2018;10(8):e3171. Published 2018 Aug 21.
2. Kakaria HL, Sharma AK, Sebastian B. Total Hip Replacement in Avascular Necrosis of Femoral Head. Med J Armed Forces India. 2005;61(1):33‐35.
3. Vardhan H, Tripathy SK, Sen RK, Aggarwal S, Goyal T. Epidemiological Profile of Femoral Head Osteonecrosis in the North Indian Population. Indian J Orthop. 2018;52(2):140‐146. doi:10.4103/ortho.IJOrtho_292_16
4. Boskey AL, Raggio CL, Bullough PG, Kinnett JG. Changes in the bone tissue lipids in persons with steroid- and alcohol-induced osteonecrosis. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1983;172:289–95.
5. Matsuo K, Hirohata T, Sugioka Y, Ikeda M, Fukuda A. Influence of alcohol intake, cigarette smoking, and occupational status on idiopathic osteonecrosis of the femoral head. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1988;234:115–23.
6. Koo KH, Kim R, Kim YS, Ahn IO, Cho SH, Song HR, et al. Risk period for developing osteonecrosis of the femoral head in patients on steroid treatment. Clin Rheumatol. 2002;21:299–303
7. Moya-Angeler J, Gianakos A, Villa J, Ni A, Lane J (2015) Current concepts on osteonecrosis of the femoral head. World J Orthop 6:590–601
8. Lieberman JR, Berry DJ, Mont MA, Aaron RK, Callaghan JJ, Rajadhyaksha AD, et al. Osteonecrosis of the hip: Management in the 21st century. Instr Course Lect. 2003;52:337–55.
9. Sen RK. Management of avascular necrosis of femoral head at pre-collapse stage. Indian J Orthop. 2009;43:6–16.
10. Mont MA, Hungerford DS. Non-traumatic avascular necrosis of the femoral head. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1995;77:459–74.
11. Assouline-Dayan, Y., Chang, C., Greenspan, A., Shoenfeld, Y., & Gershwin, M. E. (2002). Pathogenesis and natural history of osteonecrosis. Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, 32(2), 94–124.
12. Chen CH, Chang JK, Lai KA, Hou SM, Chang CH, Wang GJ. Alendronate in the prevention of collapse of the femoral head in nontraumatic osteonecrosis: a two-year multicenter, prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Arthritis Rheum. 2012;64:1572–1578.
13. Peled E, Bejar J, Barak M, Orion E, Norman D. Core decompression and alendronate treatment of the osteonecrotic rat femoral head: computer-assisted analysis. Int J Exp Pathol. 2013;94:212–216.
14. Ficat P, Arlet J, Vidal R, Ricci A, Fournial JC. Therapeutic results of drill biopsy in primary osteonecrosis of the femoral head (100 cases) Rev Rhum Mal Osteoartic. 1971;38:269–276.
15. Polkowski, G. G., Callaghan, J. J., Mont, M. A., & Clohisy, J. C. (2012). Total Hip Arthroplasty in the Very Young Patient. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 20(8), 487–497.
16. Arlet J, Ficat RP (1964) Forage-biopsie de la tete femorale dans 1’osteonecrose primative. Observations histopathologiques portant sur huit foranes. Rev Rhum Ed Fr 31: 257-264.
17. Marker DR, Seyler TM, Ulrich SD, Srivastava S, Mont MA. Do modern techniques improve core decompression outcomes for hip osteonecrosis? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2008;466(5):1093.
18. Rajagopal M, Balch Samora J, Ellis TJ. Efficacy of core decompression as treatment for osteonecrosis of the hip: a systematic review. Hip Int J Clin Exp Res Hip pathol Ther. 2012;22(5):489. [
19. Mohanty SP, Singh KA, Kundangar R, Shankar V. Management of non-traumatic avascular necrosis of the femoral head—a comparative analysis of the outcome of multiple small diameter drilling and core decompression with fibular grafting. Musculoskelet Surg. 2017;101:59–66. doi: 10.1007/s12306-016-0431-2.
20. Kim SY, Kim DH, Park IH. Multiple drilling compared with core decompression for the treatment of osteonecrosis of the femoral head. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2004;86:149.
21. Song, W. S., Yoo, J. J., Kim, Y.-M., & Kim, H. J. (2007). Results of Multiple Drilling Compared with Those of Conventional Methods of Core Decompression. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, 454, 139–146
22. Li, J., Li, Z.-L., Zhang, H., Su, X.-Z., Wang, K.-T., & Yang, Y.-M. (2017). Long-term Outcome of Multiple Small-diameter Drilling Decompression Combined with Hip Arthroscopy versus Drilling Alone for Early Avascular Necrosis of the Femoral Head. Chinese Medical Journal, 130(12), 1435–1440.
23. Müller I, Vaegler M, Holzwarth C, Tzaribatchev N, Pfister SM, Schütt B, et al. Secretion of angiogenic proteins by human multipotent mesenchymal stromal cells and their clinical potential in the treatment of avascular osteonecrosis. Leukemia. 2008;22:2054–61.
24. Kawate K, Yajima H, Ohgushi H, Kotobuki N, Sugimoto K, Ohmura T, et al. Tissue-engineered approach for the treatment of steroid-induced osteonecrosis of the femoral head: Transplantation of autologous mesenchymal stem cells cultured with beta-tricalcium phosphate ceramics and free vascularized fibula. Artif Organs. 2006;30:960–2.
25. Zhang C, Zeng B, Xu Z, Song W, Shao L, Jing D, et al. Treatment of femoral head necrosis with free vascularized fibula grafting: A preliminary report. Microsurgery. 2005;25:305–9.
26. Fang T, Zhang EW, Sailes FC, McGuire RA, Lineaweaver WC, Zhang F. Vascularized fibular grafts in patients with avascular necrosis of femoral head: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2013;133:1–10.
27. Agarwala S, Jain D, Joshi VR, Sule A. Efficacy of alendronate, a bisphosphonate, in the treatment of AVN of the hip. A prospective open-label study. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2005;44:352–9.
28. Agarwala S, Shah SB. Ten-year followup of avascular necrosis of femoral head treated with alendronate for 3 years. J Arthroplasty. 2011;26:1128–34.
29. Nishii T, Sugano N, Miki H, Hashimoto J, Yoshikawa H. Does alendronate prevent collapse in osteonecrosis of the femoral head? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006;443:273–9.
30. Chen CH, Chang JK, Lai KA, Hou SM, Chang CH, Wang GJ. Alendronate in the prevention of collapse of the femoral head in nontraumatic osteonecrosis: A two-year multicenter, prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Arthritis Rheum. 2012;64:1572–8.
31. Lai KA, Shen WJ, Yang CY, Shao CJ, Hsu JT, Lin RM. The use of alendronate to prevent early collapse of the femoral head in patients with nontraumatic osteonecrosis. A randomized clinical study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005;87:2155–9.
32. Wang, J.-A. (2014). Evidence for Using Alendronate to Treat Adult Avascular Necrosis of the Femoral Head: A Systematic Review. Medical Science Monitor, 20, 2439–2447.
33. Kumar V, Shahi AK. Nitrogen containing bisphosphonates associated osteonecrosis of the jaws: A review for past 10 year literature. Dent Res J (Isfahan). 2014;11(2):147‐153.
|How to Cite this article: Ashraf N, George J, Sha II. Micro-core Decompression combined with Intralesional Zoledronic Acid as a treatment of Osteonecrosis of femoral Head: A Novel Technique. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics Jan-Jun 2020;5(1): 41-46.|