Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics | Vol 4 | Issue 2 | July-Dec 2019 | page:45-50 | Dr. Shubhranshu S. Mohanty, Dr. Swapnil A. Keny
Author: Dr. Shubhranshu S . Mohanty , Dr. Swapnil A. Keny 
 Dept. of Orthopaedics, Seth GS Medical College & King Edward Memorial Hospital, Mumbai.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Shubhranshu S. Mohanty,
Dept. of Orthopaedics, Seth GS Medical College & King Edward Memorial Hospital, Mumbai.
Prosthetic joint infections in one of the most serious complication of Joint Arthroplasty. Over the years the understanding and management of PJI has evolved. The current review presents and overviews of the recent advances in the field
Keywords: Prosthetic joint infection, arthroplasty.
1. Duff GR Lachiewicz PF, Kelley SS. Aspiration of the knee joint before revision arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relal Res, 1996:132-9
2. Parvizi J, Ghanem E, Menashe S, Barrack RL, Bauer TW. Periprosthetic infection: what are the diagnostic challenges? J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006 Dec;88 Suppl 4:138-47. .
3. Pulido L, Ghanem E, Joshi A, Purtill JJ, Parvizi J. Periprosthetic joint infection: the incidence, timing, and predisposing factors. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2008 Jul;466(7):1710-5.
4. Gristina AG, Costerton JW. Bacterial adherence and the glycocalyx and their role in musculoskeletal infection. Orthop Clin North Am 1984;15:517‑35.
5. Aggarwal VK, Rasouli MR, Parvizi J. Periprosthetic joint infection: Current concept. Indian J Orthop 2013;47:10-7.
6. Zmistowski B, Fedorka CJ, Sheehan E, Deirmengian G, Austin MS, Parvizi J. Prosthetic joint infection caused by gram‑negative organisms. J Arthroplasty 2011;26:104‑8.
7. Marculescu CE, Cantey JR. Polymicrobial prosthetic joint infections: risk factors and outcome. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2008;466(6):1397–1404.
8. Namba RS, Inacio MC, Paxton EW. Risk factors associated with deep surgical site infections after primary total knee arthroplasty: an analysis of 56,216 knees. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013 May.1;95(9):775-82.
9. Kurtz SM, Lau E, Schmier J, Ong KL, Zhao K, Parvizi J. Infection burden for hip and knee arthroplasty in the United States. J Arthroplasty. 2008 Oct;23(7):984-91.
10. Parvizi J, Zmistowski B, Berbari EF, Bauer TW, Springer BD, Della Valle CJ, Garvin KL, Mont MA, Wongworawat MD, Zalavras CG. New definition for periprosthetic joint infection: from the Workgroup of the Musculoskeletal Infection Society. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011 Nov;469(11):2992-4.
11. Chun KC, Kim KM, Chun CH. Infection following total knee arthroplasty. Knee Surg Relat Res. 2013;25(3):93–99.
12. Tsukayama DT, Goldberg VM, Kyle R. Diagnosis and management of infection after total knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003;85 Suppl 1:S75-80.
13. Spangehl MJ, Masri BA, O’Conneii JX, Duncan CP Prospective analysis of preoperative and intraoperative investigations for the diagnosis of infection at the sites of two hundred and two revision total hip arthroplasties. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1999:81:672-83.
14. Ghanem E, Parvizi J, Burnett RS, Sharkey PF, Keshavarzi N, Aggarwal A, Barrack RL. Cell count and differential of aspirated fluid in the diagnosis of infection at the site of total knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008 Aug;90(8):1637-43.
15. Feldman DS, Lonner JH, Desai p Zuckerman JD. The role of intra operative frozen sections in revision total joint arthroplasty. J Bone Jomt Surg Am. 1995:77:1807-13.
16. Zywiel MG, Stroh DA, Johnson AJ, Marker DR, Mont MA. Gram stains have limited application in the diagnosis of infected total knee arthroplasty. Int J Infect Dis. 2011 Oct;15(10):e702-5.
17. Schoof B, Jakobs O, Schmidl S, et al. Fungal periprosthetic joint infection of the hip: a systematic review. Orthop Rev (Pavia). 2015;7(1):5748. Published 2015 Mar 31.
18. Berbari EF, Marculescu C, Sia I, Lahr BD, Hanssen AD, Steckelberg JM, et al. Culture‑negative prosthetic joint infection. Clin Infect Dis 2007;45:1113‑9.
19. Tsaras G, Maduka-Ezeh A, Inwards CY, Mabry T, Erwin PJ, Murad MH, Montori VM,West CP, Osmon DR, Berbari EF. Utility of intraoperative frozen section histopathology in the diagnosis of periprosthetic joint infection: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012 Sep 19;94(18):1700-11.Review.
20. Parvizi J, Jacovides C, Antoci V, Ghanem E. Diagnosis of periprosthetic joint infection: The utility of a simple yet unappreciated enzyme. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2011;93:2242‑8.
21. Berbari E, Mabry T, Tsaras G, Spangehl M, Erwin PJ, Murad MH, Steckelberg J,Osmon D. Inflammatory blood laboratory levels as markers of prosthetic joint infection: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010 Sep1;92(11):2102-9.
22. ungerford DS. Infected total knee arthroplasty treated by arthroscopic irrigation and débridement. J Arthroplasty. 2000 Jun;15(4):430-6.
24. Thakrar RR, Horriat S, Kayani B, Haddad FS. Indications for a single-stage exchange arthroplasty for chronic prosthetic joint infection: a systematic review. Bone Joint J. 2019 Jan;101-B(1_Supple_A):19-24.
25. Gehrke T, Zahar A, Kendoff D. One-stage exchange: it all began here. Bone Joint J. 2013 Nov;95-B(11 Suppl A):77-83.
26. Lee YS, Chen AF. Two-Stage Reimplantation in Infected Total Knee Arthroplasty. Knee Surg Relat Res. 2018;30(2):107–114.
|How to Cite this article: Mohanty S S, Keny S A. Peri-proshthetic Joint Infection. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics July-Dec 2019;4(2):45-50.|