Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics | Vol 7 | Issue 2 | Jul-Dec 2022 | page: 12-14 | Shalin Shah, Mandar Agashe
Author: Shalin Shah , Mandar Agashe 
 Department of Paediatric Orthopaedics, BJ Wadia Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India,
 Consultant Paediatric Orthopaedic Surgeon, Agashe Hospital, BJ Wadia Hospital and SRCC Children’s Hospital,
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Raja Ganesh Rayudu,
Dr. D. Y. Patil University-School of Medicine, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
Pulled elbow is one of the commonest clinical conditions encountered by the Paediatric orthopaedic surgeon. It is primarily due to axial force applied to a semi-prone forearm which leads to proximal radio-ulnar joint dislocation. Diagnosis is usually clinical and radiographs are rarely needed. Reduction maneuvers include the Traction-supination and traction-hyperpronation method and almost always cause immediate pain relief and return to function.
Keywords: Pulled elbow, Proximal radioulnar joint dislocation, Supination maneuver, Hyper-pronation maneuver.
- Hanes L, McLaughlin R, Ornstein AE. Suspected radial head subluxation in infants: The Need for radiologic evaluation. Pediatr Emerg Care 2021;37:e58-9.
- Krul M, van der Wouden JC, Kruithof EJ, van Suijlekom-Smit LW, Koes BW. Manipulative interventions for reducing pulled elbow in young children. Cochrane Database SystRev 2017;7:CD007759.
- Guzel M, Salt O, Demir MT, Akdemir HU, Durukan P, Yalcin A. Comparison of hyperpronation and supination-flexion techniques in children presented to emergency department with painful pronation. Niger J Clin Pract 2014;17:201-4.
- Schunk JF. Radial head subluxation: Epidemiology and treatment of 87 episodes. Ann Emerg Med 1990;19:1019-23.
- Teach SJ, Schutzman SA. Prospective study of recurrent radial head subluxation. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 1996;150:164-6.
- Quan L, Marcuse EK. The epidemiology and treatment of radial head subluxation. Am J Dis Child 1985;139:1194-7.
- Kosuwon WE, Mahaisavariya BA, Saengnipanthkul SU, Laupattarakasem WI, Jirawipoolwon PO. Ultrasonography of pulled elbow. J Bone Joint Surg 1993;75:421-2.
- Pring M, Wenger D, Rang M. Elbow-proximal radius and ulna. In: Rang M, Wenger DR, Pring ME, editors. Rang’s Children’s Fractures. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2005. p. 119.
|How to Cite this article: Shah S, Agashe M. Managing a Pulled Elbow in the Clinic. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics Jul-Dec 2022;7(2):12-14.|