Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics | Vol 7 | Issue 1 | Jan-Jun 2022 | page: 53-55 | Pascal DeNiese
Author: Pascal DeNiese 
 Department of Orthopaedics, Holy Spirit Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Pascal DeNiese,
Department of Orthopaedics, Holy Spirit Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
Foot and ankle orthopaedics in India is a rapidly growing and relatively new field being pursued by the Orthopaedic surgeon in view of the pateints recognizing the need for specialized treatment. The article attempts to guide the orthopaedic surgeon with a few commonly occurring conditions with evidence based medicine. This narrative review was performed following a literature search in the Pubmed database and Medline using the mentioned keywords. Related articles were then reviewed.
Keywords: Foot and ankle orthopaedics, Syndesmotic injuries, Ankle instability, Internal bracing, Standing CT Scans, Plantar fasciitis, Ankle arthroplasty, Ankle arthroscopy
- Boszczyk A, Kwapisz S, Krümmel M, Grass R, Rammelt S. Correlation of incisura anatomy with syndesmotic malreduction. Foot Ankle Int 2018;39:369-75.
- Zhang P, Liang Y, He J, Fang Y, Chen P, Wang J. A systematic review of suture-button versus syndesmotic screw in the treatment of distal tibiofibular syndesmosis injury. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2017;18:286.
- Batra AV, Nicholson D, Rao P, Sullivan JO. Clinical outcomes of the open modified brostrom procedure with internal brace augmentation for lateral ankle instability. Orthop Muscular Syst 2018;7:257.
- Cho BK, Park JK, Choi SM, SooHoo NF. A randomized comparison between lateral ligaments augmentation using suture-tape and modified Broström repair in young female patients with chronic ankle instability. Foot Ankle Surg 2019;25:137-42.
- de Cesar Netto C, Schon LC, Thawait GK, da Fonseca LF, Chinanuvathana A, Zbijewski WB, et al. Comparison between weightbearing and nonweightbearing measurements using cone-beam computed tomography. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2017;99:e98.
- Johannsen FE, Herzog RB, Malmgaard-Clausen NM, Hoegberget-Kalisz M, Magnusson SP, Kjaer M. Corticosteroid injection is the best treatment in plantar fasciitis if combined with controlled training. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2019;27:5-12.
- Peerbooms JC, Lodder P, den Oudsten BL, Doorgeest K, Schuller HM, Gosens T. Positive effect of platelet-rich plasma on pain in plantar fasciitis: A double-blind multicenter randomized controlled trial. Am J Sports Med 2019;47:3238-46.
- Norvell DC, Ledoux WR, Shofer JB, Hansen ST, Davitt J, Anderson JG, et al. Effectiveness and safety of ankle arthrodesis versus arthroplasty: A prospective multicenter study. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2019;101:1485-94.
- Veljkovic AN, Daniels TR, Glazebrook MA, Dryden PJ, Penner MJ, Wing KJ, et al. Outcomes of total ankle replacement, arthroscopic ankle arthrodesis, and open ankle arthrodesis for isolated non-deformed end-stage ankle arthritis. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2019;101:1523-9.
- Blanco-Rivera J, Elizondo-Rodríguez J, Simental-Mendía M, Vilchez-Cavazos F, Peña-Martínez VM, Acosta-Olivo C. Treatment of lateral ankle sprain with platelet-rich plasma: A randomized clinical study. Foot Ankle Surg 2019;26:750-4.
- Rowden A, Dominici P, D’Orazio J, Manur R, Deitch K, Simpson S, et al. Double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study evaluating the use of platelet-rich plasma therapy (PRP) for acute ankle sprains in the emergency department. J Emerg Med 2015;49:546-51.
- Shah R, Bandikalla VS. Role of arthroscopy in various ankle disorders. Indian J Orthop 2021;55:333-41.
- Panikkar KV, Taylor A, Kamath S, Henry AP. A comparison of open and arthroscopic ankle fusion. Foot Ankle Surg 2003;9:169-72.
|How to Cite this article: DeNiese P. Recent trends in foot and ankle orthopaedics for an Indian perspective. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics Jan-Jun 2022;7(1):53-55.|