Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics | Vol 7 | Issue 1 | Jan-Jun 2022 | page: 67-76 | Vibhu Krishnan Viswanathan, Rishi M Kanna, Ajoy Prasad Shetty
Author: Vibhu Krishnan Viswanathan , Rishi M Kanna , Ajoy Prasad Shetty 
 Department of Orthopaedics and Spine Surgery, Ganga Hospital, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Rishi M Khana,
Department of Orthopaedics and Spine Surgery, Ganga Hospital, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India.
Introduction: Approximately 20% of individuals older than 50 years of age have been reported to present with vertebral fragility fractures (VFF) – a prevalence which is anticipated to steadily increase in future. VFF is associated with disabling pain, significant impairment of quality of life, reduced ambulatory capacity, impaired social interactions, and poor quality of sleep. Early detection, appropriate management, evaluation of osteoporosis, and prevention of future fragility fractures would form the crux of treatment. Nevertheless, there is no consensus on what constitutes the ideal management protocol for symptomatic VFF.
Methods: Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analysis guidelines were used to prepare this review. A detailed review of the literature was performed using PubMed, EMBASE, MEDLINE, and Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, which were searched for eligible studies with terms “treatment of VEF,” “osteoporotic vertebral fracture (OVF),” “management of osteoporotic compression fracture,” “imaging in OVF,” “percutaneous vertebral augmentation,” and “conservative treatment of OVF” from inception to November 2021. Duplicate studies, case reports, and letters to the editor were excluded from the study.
Results: A total of 286 studies were identified using our search criteria. Of these, 142 were duplicates and 107 did not meet inclusion criteria. After removal of these articles through various stages of screening, a total of 37 studies were finally included in the review. Plain radiographs, computed tomography (CT), and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) are helpful in the diagnosis, evaluation, and management of these fractures. Radiologically, unstable VFFs need to be identified based on the following criteria (>50% vertebral height loss, kyphosis ≥25–35°, substantial retropulsion of bony fragments, significant bony, or ligamentous posterior column injuries). Conservative treatment (which includes analgesics, orthoses, and early mobilization) has remained the traditional way of treating these fractures. More recent systematic reviews have demonstrated a significant improvement in early pain control, vertebral height restoration, and ambulation with percutaneous augmentation (PKP or PVP) procedures. These studies have recommended cement augmentation in patients with intractable pain, not responding to medications. Surgical stabilization is recommended in elderly patients with pseudoarthrosis, substantial intervertebral instability, intractable pain with vertebral collapse, neurological deficit, and kyphosis. The need for long-term medical therapy to improve the bone density cannot be understated.
Conclusion: A high index of suspicion is necessary to diagnose VFFs in elderly patients with back pain. Conservative treatment has remained the traditional way of treating these fractures. Recent evidence shows early pain control and better vertebral height restoration with cement augmentation procedures (PKP or PVP). Open surgical stabilization can be helpful in a subset of patients with substantial intervertebral instability, deformity, and neuro-deficit.
Keywords: Osteoporosis, vertebral fragility fractures, cement augmentation, kyphosis
- Ferreira ML, March L. Vertebral fragility fractures-how to treat them? Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 2019;33:227-35.
- Ensrud KE, Schousboe JT. Clinical practice. Vertebral fractures. N Engl J Med 2011;364:1634-42.
- Chen Y, Yin P, Hai Y, Su Q, Yang J. Is osteoporotic thoracolumbar burst fracture a contraindication to percutaneous kyphoplasty? Asystematic review. Pain Physician 2021;24:E685-92.
- Cummings SR, Melton LJ. Epidemiology and outcomes of osteoporotic fractures. Lancet 2002;359:1761-7.
- Johnell O, Kanis JA. An estimate of the worldwide prevalence and disability associated with osteoporotic fractures. Osteoporos Int 2006;17:1726-33.
- Rzewuska M, Ferreira M, McLachlan AJ, Machado GC, Maher CG. The efficacy of conservative treatment of osteoporotic compression fractures on acute pain relief: Asystematic review with meta-analysis. Eur Spine J 2015;24:702-14.
- Anselmetti GC, Bernard J, Blattert T, Court C, Fagan D, Fransen H, et al. Criteria for the appropriate treatment of osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures. Pain Physician 2013;16:E519-30.
- Ballane G, Cauley JA, Luckey MM, El-Hajj Fuleihan G. Worldwide prevalence and incidence of osteoporotic vertebral fractures. Osteoporos Int 2017;28:1531-42.
- Lindsay R, Silverman SL, Cooper C, Hanley DA, Barton I, Broy SB, et al. Risk of new vertebral fracture in the year following afracture. JAMA 2001;285:320-3.
- Burger H, van Daele PL, Grashuis K, Hofman A, Grobbee DE, Schütte HE, et al. Vertebral deformities and functional impairment in men and women. J Bone Miner Res 1997;12:152-7.
- Silverman SL. The clinical consequences of vertebral compression fracture. Bone 1992;13 Suppl 2:S27-31.
- Hoyt D, Urits I, Orhurhu V, Orhurhu MS, Callan J, Powell J, et al. Current concepts in the management of vertebral compression fractures. Curr Pain Headache Rep 2020;24:16.
- Beall D, Lorio MP, Yun BM, Runa MJ, Ong KL, Warner CB. Review of vertebral augmentation: An updated meta-analysis of the effectiveness. Int J Spine Surg 2018;12:295-321.
- Edidin AA, Ong KL, Lau E, Kurtz SM. Morbidity and mortality after vertebral fractures: Comparison of vertebral augmentation and nonoperative management in the medicare population. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2015;40:1228-41.
- Kim DH, Vaccaro AR. Osteoporotic compression fractures of the spine; current options and considerations for treatment. Spine J 2006;6:479-87
- Musbahi O, Ali AM, Hassany H, Mobasheri R. Vertebral. compression fractures. Br J Hosp Med (Lond) 2018;79:36-40.
- Clark EM, Cummings SR, Schousboe JT. Spinal radiographs in those with back pain-when are they appropriate to diagnose vertebral fractures? Osteoporos Int 2017;28:2293-7.
- Sugita M, Watanabe N, Mikami Y, Hase H, Kubo T. Classification of vertebral compression fractures in the osteoporotic spine. J Spinal Disord Tech 2005;18:376-81.
- Kanchiku T, Imajo Y, Suzuki H, Yoshida Y, Taguchi T. Usefulness of an early MRI-based classification system for predicting vertebral collapse and pseudoarthrosis after osteoporotic vertebral fractures. J Spinal Disord Tech 2014;27:E61-5.
- Tsujio T, Nakamura H, Terai H, Hoshino M, Namikawa T, Matsumura A, et al. Characteristic radiographic or magnetic resonance images of fresh osteoporotic vertebral fractures predicting potential risk for nonunion: Aprospective multicenter study. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2011;36:1229-35.
- Omi H, Yokoyama T, Ono A, Numasawa T, Wada K, Fujisawa Y. Can MRI predict subsequent pseudarthrosis resulting from osteoporotic thoracolumbar vertebral fractures? Eur Spine J 2014;23:2705-10.
- Schnake KJ, Blattert TR, Hahn P, Franck A, Hartmann F, Ullrich B, et al. Classification of osteoporotic thoracolumbar spine fractures: Recommendations of the spine section of the German society for orthopaedics and trauma (DGOU). Glob Spine J 2018;8 Suppl 2:46S-9S.
- Muratore M, Ferrera A, Masse A, Bistolfi A. Osteoporotic vertebral fractures: Predictive factors for conservative treatment failure. A systematic review. Eur Spine J 2018;27:2565-76.
- Suzuki N, Ogikubo O, Hansson T. The course of the acute vertebral body fragility fracture: Its effect on pain, disability and quality of life during 12 months. Eur Spine J 2008;17:1380-90.
- Suzuki N, Ogikubo O, Hansson T. The prognosis for pain, disability, activities of daily living and quality of life after an acute osteoporotic vertebral body fracture: Its relation to fracture level, type of fracture and grade of fracture deformation. Eur Spine J 2009;18:77-88.
- Knopp-Sihota JA, Newburn-Cook CV, Homik J, Cummings GG, Voaklander D. Calcitonin for treating acute and chronic pain of recent and remote osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Osteoporos Int 2012;23:17-38.
- Erhan B, Ataker Y. Rehabilitation of patients with osteoporotic fractures. J Clin Densitom 2020;23:534-8.
- Pratelli E, Cinotti I, Pasquetti P. Rehabilitation in osteoporotic vertebral fractures. Clin Cases Miner Bone Metab 2010;7:45-7.
- Parreira PC, Maher CG, Megale RZ, March L, Ferreira ML. An overview of clinical guidelines for the management of vertebral compression fracture: A systematic review. Spine J 2017;17:1932-8.
- Kweh BT, Lee HQ, Tan T, Rutges J, Marion T, Tew KS, et al. The role of spinal orthoses in osteoporotic vertebral fractures of the elderly population (age 60 years or older): Systematic review. Glob Spine J 2021;11:975-87..
- Sinaki M, Itoi E, Wahner HW, Wollan P, Gelzcer R, Mullan BP, et al. Stronger back muscles reduce the incidence of vertebral fractures: A prospective 10 year follow-up of postmenopausal women. Bone 2002;30:836-41.
- Kong M, Zhou C, Zhu K, Zhang Y, Song M, Zhang H, et al. 12-month teriparatide treatment reduces new vertebral compression fractures incidence and back pain and improves quality of life after percutaneous kyphoplasty in osteoporotic women. Clin Interv Aging 2019;14:1693-703.
- Ohtori S, Orita S, Yamauchi K, Eguchi Y, Ochiai N, Kuniyoshi K, et al. More than 6 months of teriparatide treatment was more effective for bone union than shorter treatment following lumbar posterolateral fusion surgery. Asian Spine J 2015;9:573-80.
- Huang TW, Chuang PY, Lin SJ, Lee CY, Huang KC, Shih HN, et al. Teriparatide improves fracture healing and early functional recovery in treatment of osteoporotic intertrochanteric fractures. Medicine (Baltimore) 2016;95:e3626.
- Kawabata A, Yoshii T, Hirai T, Ushio S, Kaito T, Yamashita T, et al. Effect of bisphosphonates or teriparatide on mechanical complications after posterior instrumented fusion for osteoporotic vertebral fracture: A multi-center retrospective study. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2020;21:420.
- Iwata A, Kanayama M, Oha F, Hashimoto T, Iwasaki N. Effect of teriparatide (rh-PTH 1-34) versus bisphosphonate on the healing of osteoporotic vertebral compression fracture: A retrospective comparative study. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2017;18:148.
- NICE. Overview, Percutaneous Vertebroplasty and Percutaneous Balloon Kyphoplasty for Treating Osteoporotic Vertebral Compression Fractures, Guidance. Ra’anana, Israel: NICE; 2021. Available from: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ta279 [Last accessed on 2021 Dec 26].
- Jensen ME, McGraw JK, Cardella JF, Hirsch JA. Position statement on percutaneous vertebral augmentation: A consensus statement developed by the American society of interventional and therapeutic neuroradiology, society of interventional radiology, American association of neurological surgeons/congress of neurological surgeons, and American society of spine radiology. J Neurointerv Surg 2009;1:181-5.
- Kallmes DF, Comstock BA, Heagerty PJ, Turner JA, Wilson DJ, Diamond TH, et al. A randomized trial of vertebroplasty for osteoporotic spinal fractures. N Engl J Med 2009;361:569-79.
- Buchbinder R, Osborne RH, Ebeling PR, Wark JD, Mitchell P, Wriedt C, et al. A randomized trial of vertebroplasty for painful osteoporotic vertebral fractures. N Engl J Med 2009;361:557-68.
- Hinde K, Maingard J, Hirsch JA, Phan K, Asadi H, Chandra RV. Mortality outcomes of vertebral augmentation (vertebroplasty and/or balloon kyphoplasty) for osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures: Asystematic review and meta-analysis. Radiology 2020;295:96-103.
- Chen AT, Cohen DB, Skolasky RL. Impact of nonoperative treatment, vertebroplasty, and kyphoplasty on survival and morbidity after vertebral compression fracture in the medicare. population. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2013;95:1729-36.
- Firanescu CE, de Vries J, Lodder P, Venmans A, Schoemaker MC, Smeets AJ, et al. Vertebroplasty versus sham procedure for painful acute osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures (VERTOS IV): Randomised sham controlled clinical trial. BMJ 2018;361:k1551.
- Clark W, Bird P, Gonski P, Diamond TH, Smerdely P, McNeil HP, et al. Safety and efficacy of vertebroplasty for acute painful osteoporotic fractures (VAPOUR): A multicentre, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2016;388:1408-16.
- Buchbinder R, Johnston RV, Rischin KJ, Homik J, Jones CA, Golmohammadi K, et al. Percutaneous vertebroplasty for osteoporotic vertebral compression fracture. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2018;4:CD006349.
- Clark W, Bird P, Diamond T, Gonski P, Gebski V. Cochrane vertebroplasty review misrepresented evidence for vertebroplasty with early intervention in severely affected patients. BMJ Evid Based Med 2020;25:85-9.
- Wei H, Dong C, Zhu Y, Ma H. Analysis of two minimally invasive procedures for osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures with intravertebral cleft: Asystematic review and meta-analysis. J Orthop Surg 2020;15:401.
- Hulme PA, Krebs J, Ferguson SJ, Berlemann U. Vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty: A systematic review of 69 clinical studies. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2006;31:1983-2001.
- Taylor RS, Fritzell P, Taylor RJ. Balloon kyphoplasty in the management of vertebral compression fractures: An updated systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur Spine J 2007;16:1085-100.
- Shankar JJ, Merdad R, Finitsis S, Parker R. Imaging improves efficacy of vertebroplasty-a systematic review and meta-analysis. Can J Neurol Sci 2019;46:540-9.
- Jalan H, Perumal R, Prabhu S, Palanivelayutham S, Viswanathan VK, Rajasekaran S. Intravenous bisphosphonate therapy does not delay fracture healing in inter-trochanteric femur fractures-a randomised controlled study. J Clin Orthop Trauma 2021;20:101472.
- Sun Y, Ma H, Yang F, Tang X, Yi P, Tan M. Clinical efficacy and safety of zoledronic acid combined with PVP/PKP in the treatment of osteoporotic vertebral compression fracture: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Biomed es Int 2021;2021:6650358.
- Tang B, Zeng H, Hu S, Liu K, Wu L, Shi X. Percutaneous vertebroplasty combined with zoledronic acid in treatment and prevention of osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures: A systematic review and meta-analysis of comparative studies. World Neurosurg 2022;157:75-87.
- Li K, Gong H, Xie R, Gu J, Wang S, Lin C, et al. Clinical efficacy of zoledronic acid combined with percutaneous kyphoplasty in the prevention and treatment of osteoporotic vertebral compression fracture: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Medicine (Baltimore) 2021;100:e25215.
- Ataka H, Tanno T, Yamazaki M. Posterior instrumented fusion without neural decompression for incomplete neurological deficits following vertebral collapse in the osteoporotic thoracolumbar spine. Eur Spine J 2009;18:69-76.
- Rajasekaran S, Kanna RM, Schnake KJ, Vaccaro AR, Schroeder GD, Sadiqi S, et al. Osteoporotic thoracolumbar fractures-how are they different?-Classification and treatment algorithm. J Orthop Trauma 2017;31 Suppl 4:S49-56.
|How to Cite this article: Krishnan V, Kanna RM, Shetty AP. Vertebral Fragility Fractures in Osteoporosis – A Comprehensive Review on its Management. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics Jan-Jun 2022;7(1):67-76.|