Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics | Vol 7 | Issue 1 | Jan-Jun 2022 | page: 126-134 | Nandan N Rao, Abhishek Shashikant Patil, Kunal R Bansal
Author: Nandan N Rao , Abhishek Shashikant Patil , Kunal R Bansal 
 Chief Consultant in Arthroscopy and Sports Medicine, Unity Hospital, Surat, Gujarat, India.
 Consultant Joint Replacement Surgeon, Joints for Life Clinic, Pune, Maharashtra, India.
 Consultant Joint Replacement Surgeon, Pune, Maharashtra, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Abhishek Shashikant Patil,
203. Tower B. Downtown City vista, Fountain Road, Ashok Nagar, Kharadi – 411 014, Pune, Maharashtra, India.
Total knee replacements (TKR) both cemented and uncemented were developed almost simultaneously in the 1980’s. Cemented TKR found favor among the surgeons due to its technical ease and early failure of uncemented TKR due to poor design. In the past two decades; however, interest has been generated in uncemented TKR both because of design improvements which, in turn, has led to better results, especially in young active, obese, and geriatric but active patients where cemented TKR’s have been found to have increased failure rates. Active research is ongoing to refine the designs of uncemented TKR and future holds promise for this re-emerging technique and implant. This review helps to summarize the reasons for increasing interest in uncemented TKR, the newer designs and their results and the future developments expected.
Keywords: Uncemented total knee replacement, cementless total knee replacement
- Ranawat CS, Meftah M, Windsor EN, Ranawat AS. Cementless fixation in total knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2012;94 Supple 11:82-4.
- Hungerford DS, Krackow KA, Kenna RV. Cementless total knee replacement in patients 50 years old and under. Orthop Clin North Am 1989;20:131-45.
- Rand JA. Cement or cementless fixation in total knee arthroplasty? Clin Orthop Relat Res 1991;273:52-62.
- Duffy GP, Berry DJ, Rand JA. Cement versus cementless fixation in total knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1998;356:66-72.
- Cloke DJ, Khatri M, Pinder IM, McCaskie AW, Lingard EA. 284 press-fit Kine-max total knee arthroplasties followed for 10 years: Poor survival of uncemented prostheses. Acta Orthop 2008;7:28-33.
- Collins DN, Heim SA, Nelson CL, Smith P 3rd. Porous coated anatomic total knee arthroplasty: A prospective analysis comparing cemented and cementless fixation. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1991;267:128-36.
- Berger RA, Lyon JH, Jacobs JJ, Barden RM, Berkson EM, Sheinkop MB, et al. Problems with cementless total knee arthro-plasty at 11 years followup. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2001;392:196-207.
- Khaw FM, Kirk LM, Morris RW, Gregg PJ. A randomised, controlled trial of cemented versus cementless press-fit condylar total knee replacement. Ten-year survival analysis. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2002;84:658-66.
- Baker PN, Khaw FM, Kirk LM, Esler CN, Gregg PJ. Arandomised controlled trial of cemented versus cementless press-fit condylar total knee replacement: 15-year survival analysis. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2007;89:1608-14.
- Abdel MP, Bonadurer GF 3rd, Jennings MT, Hanssen AD. Increased aseptic tibial failures in patients with a BMI ≥ 35 and well-aligned total knee arthroplasties. J Arthroplasty 2015;30:2181-4.
- Ahirwar R, Mondal PR. Prevalence of obesity in India: A systematic review. Diabetes Metab Syndr 2019;13:318-21.
- Mishra VK. India’s Projected Aged Population (65+), Projected Life Expectancy at Birth and Insecurities Faced by Aged Population, Ageing International; 2020. p. 45.
- Gandhi R, Tsvetkov D, Davey JR, Mahomed NN. Survival and clinical function of cemented and uncemented prostheses in total knee replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2009;91-B:889-95.
- Voigt JD, Mosier M. Hydroxyapatite (HA) coating appears to be of benefit for implant durability of tibial components in primary total knee arthroplasty. Acta Orthop 2011;82:448-59.
- Wang H, Lou H, Zhang H, Jiang J, Liu K. Similar survival between uncemented and cemented fixation prostheses in total knee arthroplasty: A meta-analysis and systematic comparative analysis using registers. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2014;22:3191-7.
- Zhou K, Yu H, Li J, Wang H, Zhou Z, Pei F. No difference in implant survivorship and clinical outcomes between full-cementless and full-cemented fixation in primary total knee arthroplasty: Asystematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Surg 2018;53:312-9.
- Wang K, Sun H, Zhang K, Li S, Wu G, Zhou J, et al. Better outcomes are associated with cementless fixation in primary total knee arthroplasty in young patients: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Medicine (Baltimore) 2020;99:e18750.
- Horváth T, Hanák L, Hegyi P, Butt E, Solymár M, Szűcs Á, et al. Hydroxyapatite-coated implants provide better fixation in total knee arthroplasty. A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. PLoS One 2020;15:e0232378.
- Prasad AK, Tan JH, Bedair HS, Dawson-Bowling S, Hanna SA. Cemented vs. cementless fixation in primary total knee arthroplasty: A systematic review and meta-analysis. EFORT Open Rev 2020;5:793-8.
- Liu Y, Zeng Y, Wu Y, Li M, Xie H, Shen B. A comprehensive comparison between cementless and cemented fixation in the total knee arthroplasty: An updated systematic review and meta-analysis. J Orthop Surg Res 2021;16:176.
- Chen C, Shi Y, Wu Z, Gao Z, Chen Y, Guo C, et al. Long-term effects of cemented and cementless fixations of total knee arthroplasty: A meta-analysis and systematic review of randomized controlled trials. J Orthop Surg Res 2021;16:590.
- Rodriguez S, Ranawat AS. The future is non-cemented total knee arthroplasty: Volume trends at the hospital for special surgery. Indian J Orthop 2021;55:1-5.
- Cross MJ, Parish EN. A hydroxyapatite-coated total knee replacement: Prospective analysis of 1000 patients. J Bon Joint Surg Br 2005;87:1073-6.
- Dixon P, Parish EN, Cross MJ. Arthroscopic debridement in the treatment of the infected total knee replacement. J Bone Join Surg Br 2004;86-B:39-42.
- Newman JM, Khlopas A, Chughtai M, Gwam CU, Mistry JB, Yakubek GA, et al. Cementless total knee arthroplasty in patients older than 75 years. J Knee Surg 2017;30:930-5.
- Dubin JA, Westrich GH. A matched cohort study between cementless TKA and cemented TKA shows a reduction in tourniquet time and manipulation rate. J Orthop 2020;21:532-6.
- Patel N, Gwam CU, Khlopas A, Sodhi N, Sultan AA, Navarro SM, et al. Outcomes of cementless total knee arthroplasty in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Orthopedics 2018;41:103-6.
- Sultan AA, Khlopas A, Sodhi N, Denzine ML, Ramkumar PN, Harwin SF, et al. Cementless total knee arthroplasty in knee osteonecrosis demonstrated excellent survivorship and outcomes at three-year minimum follow-up. J Arthroplasty 2018;33:761-5.
- Lawrie CM, Schwabe M, Pierce A, Nunley RM, Barrack RL. The cost of implanting a cemented versus cementless total knee arthroplasty. Bone Joint J 2019;101-B Suppl 7:61-3.\
- Yayac M, Harrer S, Hozack WJ, Parvizi J, Courtney PM. The use of cementless components does not significantly increase procedural costs in total knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty 2020;35:407-12.
- Gwam CU, George NE, Etcheson JI, Rosas S, Plate JF. Delanois RE. Cementless versus cemented fixation in total knee arthroplasty: Usage, costs, and complications during the inpatient period. J Knee Surg 2019;32:1081-7.
- Lee SH, Kim DH, Lee YS. Is there an optimal age for total knee arthroplasty?: A systematic review. Knee Surg Relat Res 2020;32:60.
- Chen C, Li R. Cementless versus cemented total knee arthroplasty in young patients: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Orthop Surg Res 2019;14:262.
- Hube R. Fixation of stem in revision of total knee arthroplasty: Cemented versus cementless-a meta-analysis. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2016;24:3200-11.
- Gioe TJ, Novak C, Sinner P, Ma W, Mehle S. Knee arthroplasty in the young patient: Survival in a community registry. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2007;464:83-7.
- Workgroup of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons Evidence Based Committee. Obesity and total joint arthroplasty: A literature based review. J Arthroplasty 2013;28:714-21.
- Kerkhoffs GM, Servien E, Dunn W, Dahm D, Bramer JA, Haverkamp D. The influence of obesity on the complication rate and outcome of total knee arthroplasty: A meta-analysis and systematic literature review. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2012;94:1839-44.
- Sinicrope BJ, Feher AW, Bhimani SJ, Smith LS, Harwin SF, Yakkanti MR, et al. Increased survivorship of cementless versus cemented TKAin the morbidly obese. Aminimum 5-year follow-up. J Arthroplasty 2019;34:309-14.
- Hagman DS, Granade CM, Smith LS, Yakkanti MR, Malkani AL. Results of cemented posterior-stabilized total knee arthroplasty in obese patients with an average 10-year followup. J Arthroplasty 2020;35:2097-100.
- Bagsby DT, Issa K, Smith LS, Elmallah RK, Mast LE, Harwin SF, et al. Cemented vs cementless total knee arthroplasty in morbidly obese patients. J Arthroplasty 2016;31:1727-31.
- Foran JR, Mont MA, Etienne G, Jones LC, Hungerford DS. The outcome of total knee arthroplasty in obese patients. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2004;86:1609-15.
- Spicer DD, Pomeroy DL, Badenhausen WE, Schaper LA Jr., Curry JI, Suthers KE, et al. Body mass index as a predictor of outcome in total knee replacement. Int Orthop 2001;25:246-9.
- Harwin SF, Levin JM, Khlopas A, Ramkumar PN, Piuzzi NS, Roche M, et al. Cementless posteriorly stabilized total knee arthroplasty: Seven-year minimum follow-up report. J Arthroplasty 2018;33:1399-403.
- Watanabe H, Akizuki S, Takizawa T. Survival analysis of a cementless, cruciate-retaining total knee arthroplasty. Clinical and radiographic assessment 10 to 13 years after surgery. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2004;86:824-9.
- Schrøder HM, Berthelsen A, Hassani G, Hansen EB, Solgaard S. Cementless porous-coated total knee arthroplasty: 10-year results in a consecutive series. J Arthroplasty 2001;16:559-67.
- McMahon SE, Doran E, O’Brien S, Cassidy RS, Boldt JG, Beverland DE. Seventeen to twenty years of follow-up of the low contact stress rotating-platform total knee arthroplasty with a cementless tibia in all cases. J Arthroplasty 2019;34:508-12.
- Napier RJ, O’Neill C, O’Brien S, Doran E, Mockford B, Boldt J, et al. A prospective evaluation of a largely cementless total knee arthroplasty cohort without patellar resurfacing: 10-year outcomes and survivorship. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2018;19:205.
- Kim YH, Park JW, Lim HM, Park ES. Cementless and cemented total knee arthroplasty in patients younger than fifty five years. Which is better? Int Orthop 2014;38:297-303.
- Andersen MR, Winther N, Lind T, SchrøDer H, Flivik G, Petersen MM. Monoblock versus modular polyethylene insert in uncemented total knee arthroplasty. Acta Orthop 2016;87:607-14.
- Wojtowicz R, Henricson A, Nilsson KG, Crnalic S. Uncemented monoblock trabecular metal posterior stabilized high-flex total knee arthroplasty: Similar pattern of migration to the cruciate-retaining design-a prospective radiostereometric analysis (RSA) and clinical evaluation of 40 patients (49 knees) 60 years or younger with 9 years’follow-up. Acta Orthop 2019;90:460-6.
- de Martino I, D’Apolito R, Sculco PK, Poultsides LA, Gasparini G. Total knee arthroplasty using cementless porous tantalum monoblock tibial component: A minimum 10-year follow-up. J Arthroplasty 2016;31:2193-8.
- Tarazi JM, Salem HS, Ehiorobo JO, Sodhi N, Mont MA, Harwin SF. Cementless tritanium baseplate total knee arthroplasty: Survivorship and outcomes at 5-year minimum follow-up. J Knee Surg 2020;33:862-5.
- DeFrancesco CJ, Canseco JA, Nelson CL, Israelite CL, Kamath AF. Uncemented tantalum monoblock tibial fixation for total knee arthroplasty in patients less than 60 years of age: Mean 10-year follow-up. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2018;100:865-70.
- Hu B, Chen Y, Zhu H, Wu H, Yan S. Cementless porous tantalum monoblock tibia vs cemented modular tibia in primary total knee arthroplasty: A meta-analysis. J Arthroplasty 2017;32:666-74.
- Henricson A, Wojtowicz R, Nilsson KG, Crnalic S. Uncemented or cemented femoral components work equally well in total knee arthroplasty. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2019;27:1251-8.
- Rahbek O, Overgaard S, Lind M, Bendix K, Bünger C, Søballe K. Sealing effect of hydroxyapatite coating on peri-implant migration of particles. An experimental study in dogs. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2001;83:441-7.
- Epinette JA. Long lasting outcome of hydroxyapatite-coated implants in primary knee arthroplasty: A continuous series of two hundred and seventy total knee arthroplasties at fifteen to twenty two years of clinical follow-up. Int Orthop 2014;38:305-11.
- Pijls BG, Valstar ER, Kaptein BL, Fiocco M, Nelissen RG. The beneficial effect of hydroxyapatite lasts: A randomized radiostereme tric trial comparing hydroxyapatite-coated, uncoated, and cemented tibial components for up to 16 years. Acta Orthop 2012;83: 135-41.
- Nakama GY, Peccin MS, Almeida GJ, Ode AL, Queiroz AA, Navarro RD. Cemented, cementless or hybrid fixation options in total knee arthroplasty for osteoarthritis and other non-traumatic diseases. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012;10:CD006193.
- Eriksen J, Christensen J, Solgaard S, Schrøder H. The cementless AGC 2000 knee prosthesis: 20-year results in a consecutive series. Acta Orthop Belg 2009;75:225-33.
- Melton JT, Mayahi R, Baxter SE, Facek M, Glezos C. Long-term outcome in an uncemented, hydroxyapatite-coated total knee replacement: A 15-to 18-year survivorship analysis. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2012;94:1067-70.
- Louwerens JK, Hockers N, Achten G, Sierevelt IN, Nolte PA, van Hove RP. No clinical difference between TiN-coated versus uncoated cementless CoCrMo mobile-bearing total knee arthroplasty; 10-year follow-up of a randomized controlled trial. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2021;29:750-6.
- Banci L, Balato G, Salari P, Baldini A. Systematic review and meta-analysis of ceramic coated implants in total knee arthroplasty. Comparable mid-term results to uncoated implants. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2021; https://doi.org/10.1007/s00167-021-06775-6.
- Postler A, Beyer F, Lützner C, Tille E, Lützner J. Similar outcome during short-term follow-up after coated and uncoated total knee arthroplasty: A randomized controlled study. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2018;26:3459-67.
- Ajwani SH, Charalambous CP. Availability of total knee arthroplasty implants for metal hypersensitivity patients. Knee Surg Relat Res 2016;28:312-8.
- Harwin SF, Patel NK, Chughtai M, Khlopas A, Ramkumar PN, Roche M, et al. Outcomes of newer generation cementless total knee arthroplasty: Beaded periapatite-coated vs highly porous titanium-coated implants. J Arthroplasty 2017;32:2156-60.
- Sun S, Xi Y, Shi X, Zhao L, Ma F, Qian J. Study on the application value of CT thin-layer scan data assisted 3d printing technology in hip and knee replacement. J Healthc Eng 2021;2021:3491509.
- Vaishya R, Vijay V, Vaish A, Agarwal AK. Computed tomography based 3D printed patient specific blocks for total knee replaceme nt. J Clin Orthop Trauma 2018;9:254-9.
- Sporer S, MacLean L, Burger A, Moric M. Evaluation of a 3D-printed total knee arthroplasty using radiostereometric analysis: Assessment of highly porous biological fixation of the tibial baseplate and metal-backed patellar component. Bone Joint J 2019;101-B Suppl 7:40-7.
- Kayani B, Konan S, Pietrzak JR, Haddad FS. Iatrogenic bone and soft tissue trauma in robotic-arm assisted total knee arthroplasty compared with conventional jig-based total knee arthroplasty: Aprospective cohort study and validation of a new classification system. J Arthroplasty 2018;33:2496-501.
|How to Cite this article: Patil AS, Rao NN, Bansal KR. Uncemented Total Knee Replacement-Rediscovering the Past. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics Jan-Jun 2022;7(1):126-134.|