Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics | Vol 6 | Issue 2 | Jul-Dec 2021 | page: 32-34 | Vikram I Shah, Javahir A Pachore, Gautam M Shetty, Amish Kshatriya, Ashish Sheth, Kalpesh Shah
Author: Vikram I Shah , Javahir A Pachore , Gautam M Shetty [3,4], Amish Kshatriya , Ashish Sheth , Kalpesh Shah 
 Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Shalby Hospitals, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
 Department of Hip Arthroplasty, Shalby Hospitals, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India.
 Knee and Orthopaedic Clinic, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
 Head of Research, AIMD Research, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. . Javahir A Pachore,
Department of Hip Arthroplasty, Shalby Hospitals, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
Performing a total hip arthroplasty (THA) in the presence of a previous fibular graft can be technically challenging and may be associated with complications. We describe a novel method of “en bloc extraction” of the fibular graft during THA to facilitate complete removal of the graft and adequate femoral preparation. This en bloc extraction technique is safe and effective for complete removal of fibular graft during THA performed in patients with non-vascularized fibula grafting for avascular necrosis.
Keywords: Avascular necrosis, fibular graft, total hip arthroplasty, hip, conversion arthroplasty
1. Pachore JA, Vaidya SV, Thakkar CJ, Bhalodia HK, Wakankar HM. ISHKS joint registry: A preliminary report. Indian J Orthop 2013;47:505-9.
2. Zhao DW, Yu XB. Core decompression treatment of early-stage osteonecrosis of femoral head resulted from venous stasis or artery blood supply insufficiency. J Surg Res 2015;194:614-21.
3. Nally FJ, Zanotti G, Buttaro MA, Dilernia FD, Mansilla I, Comba FM. THA conversion rate comparing decompression alone, with autologous bone graft or stem cells in osteonecrosis. Hip Int 2018;28:189-93.
4. Wei BF, Ge XH. Treatment of osteonecrosis of the femoral head with core decompression and bone grafting. Hip Int 2011;21:206-10.
5. Meyers MH. The surgical treatment of osteonecrosis of the femoral head with an osteochondral allograft. Acta Orthop Belg 1999;65:66-7.
6. Ligh CA, Nelson JA, Fischer JP, Kovach SJ, Levin LS. The effectiveness of free vascularized fibular flaps in osteonecrosis of the femoral head and neck: A systematic review. J Reconstr Microsurg 2017;33:163-72.
7. Aldridge JM 3rd, Urbaniak JR. Vascularized fibular grafting for osteonecrosis of the femoral head with unusual indications. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2008;466:1117-24.
8. Dean GS, Kime RC, Fitch RD, Gunneson E, Urbaniak JR. Treatment of osteonecrosis in the hip of pediatric patients by free vascularized fibular graft. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2001;386:106-13.
9. Ding H, Gao YS, Chen SB, Jin DX, Zhang CQ. Free vascularized fibular grafting benefits severely collapsed femoral head in concomitant with osteoarthritis in very young adults: A prospective study. J Reconstr Microsurg 2013;29:387-92.
10. Gangji V, Toungouz M, Hauzeur JP. Stem cell therapy for osteonecrosis of the femoral head. Expert Opin Biol Ther 2005;5:437-42.
11. Baksi DP, Pal AK, Baksi DD. Long-term results of decompression and muscle-pedicle bone grafting for steonecrosis of the femoral head. Int Orthop 2009;33:41-7.
12. Alves EM, Angrisani AT, Santiago MB. The use of extracorporeal shock waves in the treatment of osteonecrosis of the femoral head: A systematic review. Clin Rheumatol 2009;28:1247-51.
13. Aaron RK, Lennox D, Bunce GE, Ebert T. The conservative treatment of osteonecrosis of the femoral head. A comparison of core decompression and pulsing electromagnetic fields. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1989;249:209-18.
14. Camporesi EM, Vezzani G, Bosco G, Mangar D, Bernasek TL. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy in femoral head necrosis. J Arthroplasty 2010;25 Suppl 6:118-23.
15. Morita D, Hasegawa Y, Okura T, Osawa Y, Ishiguro N. Long-term outcomes of transtrochanteric rotational osteotomy for non-traumatic osteonecrosis of the femoral head. Bone Joint J 2017;99-B:175-83.
16. Berend KR, Gunneson E, Urbaniak JR, Vail TP. Hip Arthroplasty after failed free vascularized fibular grafting for osteonecrosis in young patients. J Arthroplasty 2003;18:411-9..
17. Eward WC, Rineer CA, Urbainak R, Richard MJ, Ruch DS. The vascularized fibular graft in precollapse osteonecrosis: Is long term hip preservation possible? Clin orthop Relat Res 2012;470:2819-26.
18. Walter TS, Brawne JA, Ortemdo LA, Wellmam SS, Urbaniak JR, Bolognest MP. Cost-effectiveness analysis of free vascularized fibular grafting for osteonecrosis of the femoral head. J Surg Orthop Adv 2011;20:158-67.
19. Ryan SP, Woostar B, Jiranek W, Wellman S, Bolognesi M, Seyler T. Outcomes of conversion total hip arthroplasty from free vascularized fibular grafting. J Arthroplasty 2019;34:88-2.
20. Davis ET, Mckee MD, Wadell JP, Hupel T, Schemitsch EH. Total Hip arthroplasty following failure of free vascularized fibular graft. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2006;88:110-5.
|How to Cite this article: Shah VI, Pachore JA, Shetty GM, Kshatriya A, Sheth A, Shah K. En bloc Extraction Technique in Total Hip Arthroplasty for Avascular Necrosis Treated with Non-vascular Fibular Autografts. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics Jul-Dec 2021;6(2):32-34.|