Surgical site infection following spine surgery
Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics | Vol 4 | Issue 2 | July-Dec 2019 | page:38-44 | Dr. Kshitij Chaudhary, Dr. Gautam Zaveri
Author: Kshitij Chaudhary , Gautam Zaveri 
 Sir HN Reliance Foundation Hospital and Research Center, Mumbai
 Department of Spine Surgery, Jaslok Hospital & Research Centre.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Kshitij Chaudhary
Sir HN Reliance Foundation Hospital and Research Center, Mumbai
Surgical site infection in spine surgery is a devastating complication not only from a medical perspective but also from an economic standpoint. Early detection and debridement are necessary, especially if one has to retain the instrumentation. In late infection, if the fusion is confirmed, implant exit can be performed to better treat the infection. The current review focuses on the decision making in Surgical site infections in Spine Surgery
Keywords: Surgical site infection, Spine Surgery, implant
1. Fang C, Wong T-M, To KK, Wong SS, Lau T-W, Leung F. Infection after fracture osteosynthesis – Part II. J Orthop Surg. 2017;25(1):230949901769271.
2. Falagas ME, Karageorgopoulos DE. Pandrug Resistance (PDR), Extensive Drug Resistance (XDR), and Multidrug Resistance (MDR) among Gram‐Negative Bacilli: Need for International Harmonization in Terminology. Clin Infect Dis. 2008;46(7):1121-1122.
3. Willenegger H, Roth B. [Treatment tactics and late results in early infection following osteosynthesis]. Unfallchirurgie 1986;12:241–246.
4. Trampuz A, Zimmerli W. Diagnosis and treatment of infections associated with
fracture-fixation devices. Injury 2006;37:S59–S66.
5. W.J. Metsemakers et al. Infection after Fracture Fixation: Current surgical and microbiological concepts. Injury, Int. J. Care Injured 49 (2018) 511–522
6. Steinmetz et al. Infection after Fracture Fixation. EFORT Open Rev 2019; 4: 468-475.
|How to Cite this article: Chaudhary K, Zaveri G. Surgical site infection following spine surgery. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics July-Dec 2019;4(2):38-44.|
(Abstract Full Text HTML) (Download PDF)