Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics | Vol 8 | Issue 1 | Jan-Jun 2023 | page: 25-31 | Tushar Agarwal, Pooja Suratwala
Author: Tushar Agarwal , Pooja Suratwala 
 Aastha Hospital, 65 Balasinor Society, SV Road Kandivali West, Mumbai 67 India,
 Clinical Fellow Paediatric Orthopaedics, Aastha Hospital, Kandivali, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Tushar Agrawal,
Aastha Hospital, 65 Balasinor Society, SV Road Kandivali West, Mumbai 67, India.
Anterior knee pain in children above 10 years of age is a part of every orthopaedic surgeon OPD practice. Osgood-Schlatter disease is the most common cause in skeletal of immature athletic children. It is a condition, in which the patellar tendon insertion on the tibial tuberosity becomes inflamed. It tends to occur more commonly in boys and it occurs in the second decade of life ( 10-15 years). It is a self limiting condition and and occurs secondary to repetitive extensor mechanism stress activities such as jumping and sprinting. OSD is a clinical diagnosis, and only radiographic evaluation may be done to confirm the diagnosis. Pain level dictates overall treatment, and management includes symptomatic treatment with ice and NSAIDs, as well as activity modification. & relative rest from inciting activities in association with lower extremities stretching exercises. In this paper we discuss the etiology, presentation, evaluation, and management of osgood schlatter disease.
Keywords: osgood Schlatter disease , osteochondritis, anterior knee pain.
- Vaishya R, Azizi AT, Agarwal AK, Vijay V. Apophysitis of the tibial tuberosity (Osgood-Schlatter disease): A review. Cureus 2016;8:e780.
- Ladenhauf HN, Seitlinger G, Green DW. Osgood-Schlatter disease: A 2020 update of a common knee condition in children. Curr Opin Pediatr 2020;32:107-12.
- Nowinski RJ, Mehlman CT. Hyphenated history-Osgood-Schlatter diease. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 1998;27:584-5.
- Gaulrapp H, Nührenbörger C. The Osgood-Schlatter disease: Alarge clinical series with evaluation of risk factors, natural course, and outcomes. Int Orthop 2022;46:197-204.
- Green DW, Sidharthan S, Schlichte LM, Aitchison AH, Mintz DN. Increased posterior tibial slope in patients with Osgood-Schlatter disease: A new association. Am J Sports Med 2020;48:642-6.
- Uzunov V. A look at the pathophysiology and rehabilitation of Osgood-Schlatter Syndrome. Gym Coach 2008;2:39-45.
- Demirag B, Ozturk C, Yazici Z, Sarisozen B. The pathophysiology of Osgood-Schlatter disease: A magnetic resonance investigation. J Pediatr Orthop B 2004;13:379-82.
- Kadirhan O, Fatihoglu E. Magnetic resonance imaging findings in Osgood Schlatter disease: Acase report. Curr Res MRI 2022;1:50-1.
- Siddiq MA. Osgood-Schlatter disease unveiled under high-frequency ultrasonogram. Cureus 2018;10:e3411.
- Neuhaus C, Appenzeller-Herzog C, Faude O. A systematic review on conservative treatment options for OSGOOD-Schlatter disease. Phys Ther Sport 2021;49:178-87.
- Topol GA, Podesta LA, Reeves KD, Raya MF, Fullerton BD, Yeh HW. Hyperosmolar dextrose injection for recalcitrant Osgood-Schlatter disease. Pediatrics 2011;128:e1121-8.
- Weiss JM, Jordan SS, Andersen JS, Lee BM, Kocher M. Surgical treatment of unresolved Osgood-Schlatter disease: Ossicle resection with tibial tubercleplasty. J Pediatr Orthop 2007;27:844-7.
- Tsakotos G, Flevas DA, Sasalos GG, Benakis L, Tokis AV. Osgood-Schlatter lesion removed arthroscopically in an adult patient. Cureus 2020;12:e7362.
- Fujita K, Nakase J, Yoshimizu R, Kimura M, Kanayama T, Tsuchiya H. Bursoscopic ultrasound-guided ossicle resection for Osgood-Schlatter disease. Arthrosc Tech 2022;11:e841-6.
- Pihlajamäki HK, Mattila VM, Parviainen M, Kiuru MJ, Visuri TI. Long-term outcome after surgical treatment of unresolved Osgood-Schlatter disease in young men. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2009;91:2350-8.
- Circi E, Atalay Y, Beyzadeoglu T. Treatment of Osgood-Schlatter disease: Review of the literature. Musculoskelet
- Corbi F, Matas S, Álvarez-Herms J, Sitko S, Baiget E, Reverter-Masia J, et al. Osgood-Schlatter disease: Appearance, diagnosis and treatment: A narrative review. Healthcare (Basel) 2022;10:1011.
|How to Cite this article: Agarwal T, Suratwala P. When All Is Not Good – Managing an Adolescent with Osgood–Schlatter Disease. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics Jan-Jun 2023;8(1):25-31.|